Sunday, August 10, 2008

Spot the rattlesnake in this picture


As i'm out taking care of our chickens, I nearly stepped on this little fellow. Barely a foot long. Note the chicken feather for scale. Maybe one or two little bumps on his rattle. I pushed him out of the way with a stick, and though his tail made a tiny little housefly-at-the-window sort of buzz, he didn't strike at the stick until I'd given him a few good shoves. Far enough away from the house that I wasn't too concerned.

Here he's heading away through the grass and pine needles:


The camera shutter noise gets his attention, and he turns around:


And he settles into the classic position, fixing me with a steady gaze and buzzing his tail. No, I didn't get in any closer. At this point I put down the camera, high centered him on the stick and carried him down to the edge of the property.





No comments: