Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Snow Meditation

Although I've been accustomed through work and home life to cats of the furry feline variety, it didn't take long to get used to the purr of the monsterous metallic snow cat as it carried us straight up the mountain. The view from on top of the world was huge and white and glistening. With a roar, the cat turned and descended leaving 16 people, what would seem a crowd anywhere indoors, in complete and perfect windy and sunlit silence. My snowboard, clamped to my feet, slid over the edge into a vast vertical sea of deep soft snow-- powder shouting, spraying, curving arcs like wings on both sides of my gliding, carving board. Moments without fear, when my body, it's movement, my thoughts and feelings dissolved into the mother mountain herself, were nothing less than transcendental. Each turn-- timeless; effortless. How fast the dance, how fluid! Slowness of mind and speed of body joined as a single awesome perception of the world and self as one.

No comments: